Sunday, February 27, 2011

Patron Saint Occupational Therapists

Show me bobo

"Show me" is the key phrase. Tommy does not yet include the "where" but includes "show me".

"Bobo" is something very abstract to a child ASD. It hurts, but the word associated with pain is two things. And what having trouble??

When Tommy was hitting, hitting his head and had me crying hot tears I kept saying "Tommy is crying, Tommy has a boo boo." The goal is that it starts to make the association of "sorrow" at his word.

Before Christmas Tommy has had an ear infection. He came to me and putting his finger in the ear. We still continued by saying "Tommy has a sore in his ear."


At 4 ½ years, imagine me, a bit mad with joy the day when Tommy showed me again that he had an earache and was able to answer the question "Show I hurt! ". 4 ½ years! FINALLY! The step that I find most painful of the young baby who cries and can not tell us where it hurts would soon be behind me with Tommy.

is quite a success and a big step forward for us and for Tommy.

However, as with almost any child with ASD, it's not as simple as that, and it does not stop there.

Tommy told me now "sore ear!".

By cons, is that he will tell us the intensity of pain? No. It will not one day tell us that it is more or less badly. As he can not tell us that pain is gone. It could even

stuck to respond "bobo ear" as soon as we asked "Show me bobo!" Because for him the association will be made, I say listen to the question.

was an important step, but the following is equally important and is probably more complex to teach. I can not measure the pain or his "no pain".

The other problem, what is a bobo? For us it's a pain, it hurts! For Tommy, a bobo is rather a change of perception in his body. It could be his leg itchy, water in her eyes, have the nose or ears plugged, numbness. We are far from "bobo" as we know it.

It is also found with a child who could start abusing the use of the word "bobo", starting to say to all those famous bohemian changes perception. So it would be like being at square one of not knowing when it really hurts.

also means a child who this morning went to her room humming, "bobo ears, sore on his head on the foot sore, sore ears, sore on his head, sore on the foot ...!"

This is not easy is that Tommy would we snatched, literally pain. Yesterday he hit his foot and took my hand so I took away his bobo. This is obviously impossible, but equally difficult to understand for Tommy, who insists gripe, taking my hand and repeating "sore foot".


It's a great success for us that Tommy can express discomfort, but also a good example of the complexity of learning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment